There are two times each year that get me to thinking about the past. These two dates are September 3oth and December 31. The significance of these two dates is simply that they mark a time to reflect on how we did in the previous year or in the previous nine months. If our business was better the previous year or in the previous nine then we should continue to do what we have been doing, however, it is been my experience that most people are not pleased with their prior performances
If in the previous six months you were fortunate enough to get all the new clients you need and grow your business, keep on doing what you have been doing but if you are not pleased perhaps a little reflection is needed.
This past week I was meeting with three partners and a small law firm and they were meeting with me because they were concerned that their law firm was not performing as they hoped.
After the pleasantries, I asked them if I could see their written marketing plan be obvious leader of the group spoke up and said well we have a marketing plan but it is not written down it is in our heads. To be honest with you many times when I asked that question I get a similar response that is our marketing plan is in my head and not written down.
I then gave each of them a sheet of paper and asked if they would take about five or 10 minutes to write down the marketing plan that was in their heads. After collecting the papers which incidentally were not really marketing plans and one had the best answer: it simply said to get more clients.
I point this out simply to ask the question do you have a marketing plan that is written.
After this little exercise, we got into a discussion of some of the reasons that a marketing plan is needed.
I want to share a few of these reasons and space does not permit me to go into detail only to list some of these. If you would like a more detailed description please send me an email and I will be glad to share the details with you
Here are some of the reasons you need a marketing plan, these are not in any particular order of importance and this is not an all-inclusive list.
- A Marketing Plan can keep you on the right track.
- A Marketing Plan will help you create a vision for what you want int he future
- A Marketing Plan will help you determine the costs of what you are planning to get more business
- A Marketing Plan will make sure you have set specific goals
- A Marketing Plan will save you money
- A Marketing Plan will make you think
- A Marketing Plan will give your business structure
- A Marketing Plan will increase your chances of both short term and long term success
- A Marketing Plan will help you expose problems in your business
- A Marketing Plan forces you to become clear in your goals
- A Marketing Plan will set up measurable objectives so that you can measure success and also failures
- A WELL THOUGHT OUT MARKETING PLAN WILL MAKE YOU THINK.
These are just a few of the reasons and I hope that you will begin to think about a Marketing Plan. If you need help wit a Marketing Plan, please let me know and I will be glad to help.